Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What's so important about exercise anyway?? I'll tell you why!

Yes, I do LOVE to exercise!!  If I could I would do at least two hours everyday, like I did in the past, but things are different now. I don't have as much time as I used to. Being in a gym all day as a trainer made it so easy, unfortunately I don't live in the gym anymore.  Now I have to make time and squeeze it in whenever and wherever I can!
When I first started this 30 minutes of daily exercise challenge I was gung-ho, yeah no problem, I went for it big time! I gave myself intense workouts that were mostly longer than 30 minutes for the first two weeks! As a result however, the body parts I trained would be pretty sore the next day, not excruciating, but definitely uncomfortable! Although there was one day at a sport hotel that I did take it up a notch, ok maybe ten notches! (definitely a crazy workout, but certainly not the norm!)
I realized that the challenge was not to enforce intense daily "workouts", but only to do some "exercises", of any sort. It didn't have to be structured or planned out, it just had to be something!

The other thing I came to realize is that as busy as I am, I had to figure out a way to incorporate the daily 30 minutes somehow, then the "a-ha" moment!! ( yeah I know, that's old right? ) I'll just have to do it the way I taught my busy clients! I'd say to them, "just fit in a few minutes at a time, there is no excuse for not being able to plug in 5 or 10 minutes of different exercises throughout your day that will total 30 minutes or even a full hour workout" ...so that's what I've been doing, whenever I knew that I wouldn't be able to commit a full 30 minutes! Yes, it can be done!! And there really is no excuse, nope there isn't. Being sick, you say?... Nope I don't by it. You can still work on flexibility, legs lifts, arm work, etc., etc. Once you make the commitment, it's in your forethought. You know you have to do it, so you force yourself! Yep, I've been there too! There have been days when I didn't have any time to do any exercises and all I wanted to do was go home...and do what? Probably eat and watch t.v. My body drove me to the gym and I did my 30 minutes, and I have to tell you that I felt INCREDIBLE afterwards!! And so very glad that I followed through!

 My reasons though for exercising, as part of my daily ritual, are much more than maintaining my weight. Some have said to me,"you're already in good shape, you don't need to exercise that much." ...not to be disrespectful by any means, but I sort of laugh a bit inside about that comment! I might have said this before, and I'll say it again... Exercise to benefit your health rather than thinking of "losing weight"! I think it's much easier to think of if it this way if you really do need to lose weight, and it'll magically happen! ;)

So, I thought I'd make a list of the reasons why I exercise, so hopefully you can see how it can also help you! ;) ...

1) Relieves my stress!
2) Makes me feel happy, by releasing my endorphins and puts me in a good, positive mood! :)
3) Exercise IS the fountain of youth!!! I feel younger than I am, and people say I look younger than I am...remember that stress ages you, so get rid of it!!
4) It gives me plentiful energy!!
5) It's good for my brain! Exercise actually stimulates the formation of brain cells!... Which also helps with my memory!
6) It increases my lung capacity... i.e., I can snow ski all day long!!
7) It helps me sleep like a baby!!
8) It gives me the strength and energy I need to keep up with my physically demanding job! (Increased stamina)
9) It helps to prevent high blood pressure. Exercise makes my heart stronger, it can pump more blood with less effort!
10) It increase my HDL cholesterol, the good kind!
11) It increases my muscular strength, joint and bone strength!!
12) It increases my flexibility, which I do believe helps to shorten muscle soreness....unless you absolutely kill yourself in an extreme workout!! lol Also helps me stand tall, with good posture.
13) It reduces my risk of dying prematurely by staving off diseases, i.e., type II diabetes, cancer, stroke, cardiovascular disease, and more!
14) It increases my BMR (basal metabolic rate), which means my body can burn more calories at rest!
15) It increases my self confidence and makes me feel sexy!
16) It helps to keep my immune system strong!
17) It's freeeeeeeee!!!

And so for these reasons I'll continue to make exercise a priority, if only for 30 minutes!!

Here's to healthy longevity!!
xo, Rebecca :)

1 comment: