Friday, September 2, 2011

Stand by Your Guns!



This week my office had an "all staff meeting".  My co-workers and I were running a couple of minutes late so when we arrived in the training room it was standing room only! Unfortunately, we were stuck standing in the back of the room, against the wall, and right next to FIVE boxes of doughnuts, a bowl of muffins and a variety of juices!! Good Gracious!! 
Anyone who must have been on a weight-loss road surely would’ve fell victim to the aroma!! 
OR… not!

You might be thinking “what’s the big deal?”…  “One doughnut isn’t gonna hurt!” But it does if you’re really trying to stick to a plan!... Or stay on board with “clean” eating.

Why is it that at EVERY office meeting there’s a smorgasbord of weak (meaning no nutritional value), calorie loaded foods?! Don’t they (the bosses) know that those foods bog us down, make us feel lethargic, and open the “Me SO Hungry double doors”?!? … in which case make you crave more of those types of foods soon after devouring them! Trouble, Trouble, TROUBLE!! UGH!

After the meeting I went back to my desk and looked up the nutritional information on these particular doughnuts, which happened to be from that famous place that has the initials; KK, needless to say I was horrified!! 

> One glazed doughnut is 200 calories

> High in sugar at 10g (the daily recommended max intake is 50g).

> High in trans fat, 4g (yes, that’s considered “high”!).

>  22 grams of carbohydrates.

> One of these donuts provides 18.5% of your total fat calories (based off of a 2000  
   calorie diet, which is absurd for any woman, unless you’re an avid athlete that trains 
   hard everyday!) at 12 grams.

Oh I’m sorry if I burst your bubble.  Trust me, those excess calories and fat do no justice whatsoever. You’ll make your body happy by not giving in, of course your tongue will be upset but it will recover!

Let me add that I do believe that all edibles can be enjoyed in MODERATION and in limiting the portion sizes, because I do like cake and when I see cookies I become a bit deranged… I’ll leave this to a later post.

If you find yourself in this kind of situation and you just feel that you absolutely must have one of those evil pastries or else your co-workers will  think that you’re “oh too good”!  (Frankly, I say, WHATEVER to that!)

I’m happy to say that I’m in a place that my co-workers appreciate that I have the will-power to say “no, thanks”… but I didn’t always!  Yes, I would take a sweet treat back in the old days, but I would share one with somebody, or cut it in half and only eat half. :)
  
So, next time you’re at one of those office meetings with a smorgasbord of pastries, be strong! Know that you don’t need it and your body doesn’t want it!


Remember to STAND BY YOUR GUNS!!!



For information on these doughnuts you can check out this web site, which is also my reference.

 http://calorie.com/restaurants/krispy-kreme-ca/3005


Happy and Healthy, that's Me! :)

~ Rebecca~






No comments:

Post a Comment